Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian has defended a memorandum of understanding with the United States as the best path towards ending the nearly six-month war, as Tehran faces further US economic pressure.
Pezeshkian said in a speech published by Iran’s state-run IRNA on Sunday, that the agreement, signed in mid-June, offered a way out of the current situation of “neither war nor peace”.
“There is not a single provision in this agreement that amounts to capitulation. “The supreme leader sets the policies, and we will follow that path,” Pezeshkian said.
The memorandum established a 60-day period for negotiations aimed at ending the conflict and reaching an agreement over Iran’s nuclear programme.
That period expired last week without a breakthrough, including on reopening the Strait of Homuz.
Meanwhile, Iran’s new Supreme National Security Council chief Mohsen Rezaei warned neighbouring countries against joining Washington’s latest sanctions campaign.
“If (Trump) wants to do something, we will retaliate in a seismic manner,” Rezaei told Iran’s state broadcaster.
He warned Iran could target alternative Persian Gulf oil-shipping routes if neighbouring countries participate in US measures against Tehran.
US Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent is expected to announce new measures against Iran on Monday as Washington intensifies its economic campaign.