
US President Donald Trump speaks during an announcement with US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Administrator Lee Zeldin (not pictured) in the Oval Office at the White House, in Washington, DC, US, May 21, 2026. REUTERS
President Donald Trump said on Saturday that negotiators for the United States and Iran were “getting a lot closer” to finalising an agreement to end the war, according to an interview with CBS News.
He said a final agreement would prevent Iran from obtaining a nuclear weapon and would ensure that Iran’s enriched uranium would be “satisfactorily handled”, according to CBS.
“I will only sign a deal where we get everything we want,” Trump was quoted as saying.
Iran, the US and mediator Pakistan all said today that progress had been made in talks on ending almost three months of war.
Trump has vacillated between the two poles of diplomacy and military strike since a ceasefire was declared six weeks ago to allow the sides to come to an agreement on Iran’s nuclear programme and on reopening the Strait of Hormuz, a critical oil and gas supply route now controlled by Tehran.
He earlier said he was split between a deal with Iran or renewing attacks, while Secretary of State Marco Rubio said there was a chance Iran would accept a deal to end the Middle East war as soon as Saturday.
Their comments came as Field Marshal Asim Munir arrived in Tehran to bolster mediation and Trump abruptly skipped his son’s wedding to stay in Washington due to “circumstances pertaining to government”, fuelling speculation that talks had entered a sensitive stage.
Trump told Axios that he was “50-50” on whether to agree to deal with Iran or resume strikes, adding that he would likely decide by Sunday whether to resume the war.
Trump said it was a “solid 50/50” as to whether he would be able to make a “good” deal or else “blow them to kingdom come”.
He said he would be meeting with Steve Witkoff and Jared Kushner later today to discuss Iran’s latest response. Vice President JD Vance is also expected to join.
“I think one of two things will happen: either I hit them harder than they have ever been hit, or we are going to sign a deal that is good,” Trump said.
He said that “some people would much rather have a deal and others would rather resume the war,” rejecting the idea that Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu was “worried” about negotiations.
Meanwhile, Rubio said there had been progress in negotiations but did not rule out Trump resuming attacks on Iran.
“There might be some news a little later today. There may not be. I hope there will be,” Rubio told reporters in New Delhi during his first visit to India.
“There’s been some progress done, some progress made. Even as I speak to you now, there’s some work being done,” he said.
“There is a chance that, whether it’s later today, tomorrow, in a couple days, we may have something to say.”
Rubio reiterated US demands that Iran fully open the Strait of Hormuz, on which it has exerted control in response to the US-Israeli attack, and that Iran hand over highly enriched uranium.
Trump’s “preference is always to solve problems such as these through a negotiated diplomatic solution. That’s what we’re working on right now,” Rubio said.
“But this problem will be solved, as the president’s made … clear, one way or the other.”
At the same time, Iranian foreign ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baghaei said that Tehran was in the final stages of drafting a framework for a deal to end the war with the US.
“Within a reasonable period of 30 to 60 days, the details of these points will be discussed and a final agreement will ultimately be concluded. We are currently in the process of finalising these memoranda of understanding,” he told state broadcaster IRIB.
“At this stage, we will not discuss the details of the nuclear issue … we have decided to prioritise an urgent issue for all of us: ending the war on all fronts, including Lebanon,” Baghaei told state television.
He added that the nuclear file will be “subject to separate discussions” at a later stage.
“The issue of the Strait of Hormuz is among the subjects addressed in this 14-point memorandum of understanding but more importantly, ending the piracy carried out by the United States against international navigation,” Baghaei said.
Meanwhile, multiple Pakistani government sources also told Anadolu that Pakistani, Iranian and Qatari delegations are engaged in intense discussions in Tehran to “finalise” a “temporary” agreement with the US to end the Middle East war, and are expecting a “major breakthrough” by the end of this week.
According to the people familiar with the matter, Chief of Defence Forces and Chief of the Army Staff Asim Munir has made telephonic contacts with US mediators, including Vice President JD Vance, “at least twice” over the past 24 hours.
CDF Munir, who arrived in Tehran on Friday evening, for the second time in recent weeks, held meetings with Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian, Tehran’s chief negotiator Bagher Ghalibaf, and Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi to discuss a draft of the potential agreement.
“Pakistani and Qatari delegations are holding consultations with the US and Iranian negotiators to reach consensus [on the interim agreement] between the two warring sides,” a source said.
The two sides have not achieved a “final draft” yet, but a “major breakthrough” is expected by the end of this week, the sources maintained.
Several regional countries are also in touch with Pakistani and Qatari officials currently present in Tehran, and are part of ongoing negotiations to reach a consensus document, the sources added.
Iran’s Foreign Ministry spokesperson Esmail Baghaei confirmed that a Qatari delegation is holding talks with Iranian officials, including FM Araghchi, while Pakistan continues to serve as the primary mediator in the negotiations.
The sources added that the current negotiations revolve around Iran’s nuclear programme and shipping through the Strait of Hormuz as Washington wants some “concrete and practical” assurances to be part of the interim deal. Tehran, however, insists the two issues be discussed in the second phase of talks after the agreement.
The temporary agreement proposals include an immediate end of war on “all fronts” that includes Lebanon, reopening of the strait, an end to the US blockade of Iranian ports and holding nuclear talks within the next 30 days, the insiders said.
However, they added, the issues of the release of Iran’s frozen assets, lifting of international sanctions and compensation for war damages may be discussed in direct talks between Washington and Tehran.
“If the two sides sign the agreement, a second round of direct talks between the two sides is highly expected to resume after Eidul Azha in Islamabad,” Anadolu previously reported, citing a Pakistani source.
Meanwhile, the Ambassador of the Islamic Republic of Iran to Pakistan praised Pakistan’s leadership for its mediation efforts amid ongoing regional negotiations, expressing hope that the diplomatic process would lead to lasting peace in the region.
In a post shared on X, the ambassador said Interior Minister Mohsin Naqvi had congratulated him on the progress achieved during talks with Iranian officials following his return from Tehran.
The ambassador said there was “conservative optimism” surrounding the negotiations and suggested that a positive breakthrough could emerge if all parties remained committed to the process.
A few minutes ago, the Honorable Pakistani Minister of Interior, my dear brother H.E. Mohsin Naqvi, congratulated me on the achievements of the negotiations with the officials of my country after returning from Tehran.
With conservative optimism, we can hope that, if the other…— Reza Amiri Moghadam (@IranAmbPak) May 23, 2026
“With conservative optimism, we can hope that, if the other side is adequately committed, a positive stride is taking shape which is the result of the positions of the Islamic Republic of Iran based on dignity, the steadfastness of the courageous armed forces and the resistance of the brave Iranian nation, as well as the initiative and dedicated endeavours of the Pakistani mediator,” he said.
He also acknowledged the role played by Pakistan’s political and military leadership in facilitating the mediation initiative.
CDF Munir, in a day or two, is expected to join Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif, who is currently visiting China, to discuss the outcome of his latest contacts with the Chinese leadership, the sources added.
The US and Israel launched strikes against Iran on February 28, killing the country’s supreme leader.
Tehran retaliated with attacks targeting Israel as well as US allies in the Gulf, alongside the de facto closure of the Strait of Hormuz.
The fighting stopped on April 8 when Pakistan secured a ceasefire, but subsequent talks in Islamabad failed to produce a lasting agreement. Trump later extended the truce indefinitely.
Since then, the two sides have continued exchanging proposals and counter-proposals in an effort to resume direct talks and end the conflict.
Talks appeared to have picked up some momentum in recent days, with US Secretary of State Marco Rubio saying on Friday that there had been “some progress”.
US’ betrayals, contradictions, excessive demands source of disruption: Iranian FM
Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi has attributed difficulties in the Pakistan-mediated negotiations between Iran and the United States to what he described as Washington’s repeated failure to uphold its commitments, according to Press TV.
During a telephone conversation with António Guterres on Friday, Araghchi cited what he called a history of diplomatic setbacks, including military actions against Iran, shifting policy positions, and demands that Tehran views as unacceptable.
According to Araghchi, the United States and Israel carried out military actions against Iran in June and again on February 28, despite ongoing diplomatic engagement between Washington and Tehran. He also pointed to longstanding disagreements over Iran’s nuclear programme and missile capabilities, saying these issues have continued to complicate negotiations.
The Iranian foreign minister said that despite deep mistrust toward the United States, Iran has re-entered the diplomatic process with a serious and responsible approach and is working toward what it considers a fair and reasonable outcome.
Guterres, for his part, reiterated opposition to the use of force against the sovereignty and territorial integrity of states and stressed the importance of adhering to the principles of the UN Charter and pursuing diplomacy to promote regional peace and stability.
Separately, Baghaei said on Friday that it was too early to conclude that an agreement between Iran and the United States was imminent.
“The process is ongoing,” Baghaei said in a televised interview, noting that significant differences remain between the two sides, particularly in light of recent developments over the past several months.
However, he added that recent visits to Tehran by senior Pakistani officials suggested that the negotiations had reached a potentially decisive stage.
Iran’s Press TV also stated on Saturday that Iran’s UN mission warned that US excessive demands and obstructionism pushed the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty into “free fall.”
The mission stressed that without genuine progress on nuclear disarmament, the NPT has no future.
Iran’s UN mission warns that US excessive demands and obstructionism have pushed the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty into “free fall,” stressing that without genuine progress on nuclear disarmament, the NPT has no future.
Follow: https://t.co/B3zXG74hnU pic.twitter.com/DdnthFcEtf
— Press TV 🔻 (@PressTV) May 23, 2026
“The NPT Review Conference failed for the third consecutive time due to obstructionism by the United States and its allies.”
US weighs renewed military action against Iran as negotiations continue: report
The Trump administration is considering launching another military operation against Iran amid diplomatic efforts to reach a new agreement that remains underway, according to a report on Friday.
CBS News reported that no final decision had been made by Friday, but preparations for possible action were continuing within the US government and military.
The report said President Donald Trump cancelled plans to spend the Memorial Day weekend at his golf club in New Jersey and instead planned to return to the White House due to what he described as “circumstances pertaining to Government.”
Several US military and intelligence personnel also reportedly changed or cancelled holiday plans as officials prepared for the possibility of renewed conflict.
The report said defence officials have been reviewing personnel recall lists at overseas bases, while troop rotations continue across the Middle East amid fears of possible retaliation from Iran.
Read: CDF Asim Munir arrives in Tehran for ongoing mediation efforts: ISPR
The US and Iran have largely avoided direct attacks since a temporary ceasefire took effect in April, allowing indirect negotiations on a broader agreement to continue.
White House spokesperson Anna Kelly told CBS News that Trump remained firm that Iran must not obtain a nuclear weapon and warned that Washington was prepared for all possible scenarios if talks fail.
Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps, meanwhile, warned earlier this week that any future attacks by the US or Israel could expand the conflict beyond the region.
The report said Tehran is expected to respond soon to a recent US proposal delivered through Pakistan, which has been serving as an intermediary.
Turkish, Iranian foreign ministers discuss Tehran-Washington talks
Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan and his Iranian counterpart Abbas Araghchi on Friday discussed the latest developments in negotiations between Tehran and Washington.
The conversation took place in a phone call, according to Turkish diplomatic sources
Read more: Gabbard resigns as Trump’s top intel official
Regional tensions have escalated since the US and Israel launched strikes against Iran in February. Tehran retaliated with strikes targeting Israel as well as US allies in the Gulf, along with the closure of the Strait of Hormuz.
A ceasefire took effect on April 8 through Pakistani mediation, but talks in Islamabad failed to produce a lasting agreement. US President Donald Trump later extended the truce indefinitely.
Turkish foreign minister discusses Iran-US talks with Qatari counterpart, Pakistani mediators
Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan held telephone talks with Qatar’s Prime Minister and Foreign Minister Mohammed bin Abdulrahman Al Thani as well as Pakistani mediators to discuss the latest stage of negotiations between Iran and the United States, Turkish diplomatic sources said Friday.
According to sources from Türkiye’s Foreign Ministry, the talks focused on recent developments in ongoing negotiations between Iran and the US.
No further details were immediately provided.
The United States has seen some progress towards a deal with Iran but more work is required, Secretary of State Marco Rubio said on Friday, while Iran’s foreign ministry spokesman said the two sides’ differences were deep and significant.
Intensifying diplomacy to end the conflict, Chief of Army Staff Field Marshal Asim Munir arrived in Tehran on Friday to press on with mediation efforts, and Iranian media reported that Iran’s foreign minister and Interior Minister Mohsin Naqvi had met there.
Pakistan’s Interior Minister Mohsin Naqvi holds another meeting with Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi to review proposals aimed at ending US-Israeli war with Iran – Iranian media. Here’s more 👇 pic.twitter.com/X0GacaTa1r
— TRT World Now (@TRTWorldNow) May 22, 2026
Qatar also sent a negotiating team, which is working in coordination with the United States, to the Iranian capital to try to resolve the sides’ main differences, six weeks into a fragile ceasefire.
While some gaps have been narrowed, there are still sticking points over Iran’s enriched uranium and control over the Strait of Hormuz, whose closure since the start of the war has triggered a global energy crisis.
“There’s been some progress. I wouldn’t exaggerate it. I wouldn’t diminish it,” Rubio told reporters after a meeting of NATO ministers in Helsingborg in Sweden. “There’s more work to be done. We’re not there yet. I hope we get there.”
Iran’s semi-official Tasnim news agency, citing a source close to the negotiations, said negotiations were continuing. The source added that progress had been made on some issues, but no agreement would be reached until all disputed matters are resolved.
Rubio reiterated comments made on Thursday that Iran’s plans for a tolling system for the strait through which a fifth of the world’s oil and liquefied natural gas flows were “unacceptable”.
“We’re dealing with a very difficult group of people, and if it doesn’t change, then the president’s been clear he has other options,” Rubio said.
President Donald Trump said on Friday he was skipping his eldest son’s wedding this weekend because he needs to remain in Washington “during this important period of time,” without elaborating.
Two days after presenting the Iranians with the latest US message in negotiations, Pakistani Interior Minister Syed Mohsin Naqvi held another round of talks with Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi in Tehran, Tasnim reported.
Despite the intensifying mediation efforts, Baghaei, was quoted by IRNA news agency as saying diplomacy takes time and suggesting that the sides had not reached a point where an agreement was close.
He said nuclear issues were not being discussed and that a conclusion would not be reached if the US sought to delve into details about highly enriched uranium in Iran.
Iran has kept its stockpile of enriched uranium that it has repeatedly said is for peaceful purposes only, and its ability to defend itself against US attacks originating from neighbouring countries.
The US and Israel claim their war aims are to destroy Iran’s support for regional militias, eradicate its nuclear program after Israel has claimed for years that Iran is close to developing a nuclear weapon, destroy its missile capabilities and give support to local agitators to try and forcibly overthrow the Iranian government.



