
Senate opposition leader Raja Nasir Abbas says family members, medical team should be granted access to PTI founder
ISLAMABAD:
Leader of the Opposition in the Senate Allama Raja Nasir Abbas on Wednesday announced the end of a sit-in protest outside parliament with the start of Ramadan, while expressing continued concerns over the health of jailed former prime minister Imran Khan.
Speaking to reporters outside the Supreme Court, Abbas said the protest by the Tehreek-e-Tahaffuz-e-Ain Pakistan (TTAP) outside Parliament would be wrapped up as the holy month begins, while the party determines its next course of action.
He said the demonstration had been staged to prevent what he described as government negligence and unconstitutional actions, alleging that Parliament had been effectively locked down, opposition members arrested and peaceful protests curtailed.
Turning to Khan’s health, Abbas said a medical report had been submitted to the court and confirmed that there had been some improvement in the Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) founder’s eyesight, though concerns remain and continued monitoring is required. He added that the condition had earlier been critical.
The Senate opposition leader also criticised jail authorities for alleged negligence and said legal action was being pursued. He further stressed that family members and medical professionals should be granted access to the PTI founder and expressed hope for his full recovery.
Read: TTAP to hold sit-in outside Parliament until meeting with Imran allowed after vision loss revelation
A day earlier, TTAP had announced to continue the sit-in until a meeting with PTI founder and his treatment was ensured after his reported vision loss came to light.
The Supreme Court has been informed that only 15% of Imran’s vision remains in his right eye. The information was conveyed to the apex court by PTI counsel Advocate Salman Safdar, who quoted the former premier as saying that he had been left with only 15pc vision in his right eye following medical complications.
The development caused an outcry from the opposition ranks, who slammed the government for allowing Imran’s health to deteriorate to this level.
In a post on X, TTAP chief and Leader of the Opposition in the National Assembly, Mahmood Khan Achakzai, said: “A peaceful protest sit-in will begin outside the Parliament House tomorrow. We will present our demands during the sit-in, and it will continue until our demands are met. If something goes wrong in accepting these demands, the government will be responsible”.
کل سے پارلیمنٹ ہاؤس کے باہر پر امن احتجاجی دھرنا شروع ہوگا۔ ہمارے مطالبات ہم کل دھرنے میں رکھیں گے اور مطالبات تسلیم ہونے تک دھرنا جاری رہے گا۔ مطالبات تسلیم کرنے میں خدانخواستہ کچھ غلط ہوا تو زمہ دار حکومت ہوگی۔
— Mehmood Khan Achakzai (@MKAchakzaiPKMAP) February 12, 2026
Read more: Mohsin Naqvi made more efforts than anyone to secure Imran Khan’s release, Gandapur claims
Meanwhile, former Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa chief minister Ali Amin Gandapur claimed that Interior Minister Mohsin Naqvi had made more efforts than anyone to secure the release of PTI founder.
Imran, 73, has been jailed since August 2023 after convictions he and the PTI call politically motivated. Since his 2022 ouster in a no-confidence vote, he has faced multiple cases, including over state gifts and an unlawful marriage. Some convictions have been suspended or overturned, with appeals pending. He denies wrongdoing.
Naqvi has been a frequent subject of criticism from Imran and his party amid their tribulations and challenges.
However, during an interview on Nadeem Malik Live on a private broadcaster, Gandapur said: “No one else made the same level of effort. I have said this before, within the party, and now I am saying it on air: Mohsin Naqvi made vigorous efforts to resolve the issue. He made more efforts than anyone else to ensure Imran Khan’s release.”
Read More: SC orders access to personal physicians, phone calls for Imran Khan in Adiala Jail
Raja Nasir to write to foreign bodies about Imran’s health
Earlier, Abbas, during a Senate session, raised serious concerns over the deteriorating health of Imran, accusing the authorities of failing to provide timely and effective medical care.
In his speech, Abbas said that Imran’s vision has been severely affected, with his right eye functioning at only 15 per cent capacity after a medical procedure at Islamabad’s PIMS hospital earlier this month. He expressed regret that no proper treatment was provided and highlighted the ongoing denial of health services to Imran.
He added that if Imran had been allowed regular meetings with his family, and if medical examinations had been conducted transparently with reports made public, the situation might not have escalated to this point.



