Latest

ECP notifies winners of recent by-polls sans NA-96


ECP notifies winners of recent by-polls sans NA-96

The Election Commission of Pakistan (ECP) notified the winners of the recent by-elections, except for the constituency of NA-96 (Faisalabad-II), due to a violation of the code of conduct.

The ruling PML-N secured close to 64 per cent of the total votes polled in the by-elections for six National Assembly constituencies held on Sunday as it emerged victorious on all seats. Five constituencies were located in Punjab and one in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa. These seats, except for one, were vacated due to the disqualification of the opposition PTI MNAs.

The PML-N also won six out of seven Punjab Assembly seats in the province by securing 82.41pc of the polled votes. On the seventh seat, it had not fielded its candidate in PP-269, Muzaffargarh, against PPP nominee Alamdar Qureshi.

The ECP notified the following PML-N members as MNAs: Mahmood Qadir Khan for NA-185 (Dera Ghazi Khan-II), Mohammad Nauman for NA-129 (Lahore-XIII), Muhammad Tufail for NA-143 (Sahiwal-III), Danyal Ahmad for NA-104 (Faisalabad-X) and Babar Nawaz for NA-18 (Haripur).

Meanwhile, PPP’s Qureshi was notified for PP-269 (Muzaffargarh-II) and PML-N’s Sultan Ali Ranjha for PP-73 (Sargodha-III), Ali Haider Noor Khan Niazi for PP-87 (Mianwali-III), Azad Ali Tabassum for PP-98 (Faisalabad-I), Tahir Pervaiz for PP-115 (Faisalabad-XVIII), Ahmad Shehryar for PP-116 (Faisalabad-XIX) and Muhammad Hanif for PP-203 (Sahiwal-VI).

Meanwhile, for NA-96, ECP spokesperson Duriya Amir said: “Notification of the success of the successful candidate from NA-96 Faisalabad has been stopped. A code of conduct case is pending in the election commission against Talal Chaudhry and Bilal Chaudhry.”

The ECP had decided on Monday to withhold Bilal’s victory notification over the minister’s alleged violation of the code of conduct.

A four-member bench headed by Chief Election Commissioner Sikandar Sultan Raja took up the case for hearing. The state minister, who had been summoned, did not turn up. During the hearing, the bench observed that the state minister clearly violated the code of conduct.

It was emphasised that, as per the code, the minister was not authorised to participate in any election campaign and that strict action should be taken ag­­ainst him. The CEC rem­arked that Talal did not even bother to appear before the bench.

In response, the minister’s lawyer said that his client would appear before the commission. Later, the Election Commission exempted him from attendance for the first hearing. The CEC clarified that Bilal Chaudhry was not being disqualified; only the notification of his victory would be withheld. The hearing was adjourned till December 2.


More to follow.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button