
A lot of of baby products have been recalled over infant formula milk contamination in recent months.
In a latest update, Nestle and Danone are facing fresh scrutiny over the handling of infant formula contamination.
The news was confirmed after reports published on Tuesday by French, Belgian and Swiss public media questioned the speed of recalls of potentially harmful products.
The investigation by Radio France, RTBF and RTS said Nestle had delayed alerting European authorities about the presence of cereulide, a toxin that can cause vomiting and diarrhea and poses particular risks for infants.
Nestle had previously said it first detected low cereulide levels in product samples in late November but stopped using all mixes containing the supplier’s arachidonic acid oil after contamination was confirmed on December 24.
It notified the supplier on December 29 and analysed samples until January 3 to determine the issue’s scope, before launching public recalls from January 5.
Radio France said 838,000 cans of infant formula were held back from December 26 at Nestle’s factory in northern France and other production sites.
It said products already on the market remained in distribution channels or consumers’ homes without an official recall or immediate notification to European authorities, despite rules requiring prompt reporting when a health risk is identified.
The media outlets also said Nestle carried out “silent” withdrawals in Austria and Germany from December 24, while Danone products were withdrawn from sale in January before public recalls were issued.
Prosecutors in the French cities of Bordeaux and Angers have ruled out a link between the deaths of two infants and recalled formula products. A third death was still being investigated.
Another investigation opened in Meaux was transferred to Paris, Radio France said.
Whereas Nestle strongly contested that allegation.




